Pediatric palliative care
Presentation of the support equipment in Pediatric Palliative Care
To deliver integrated care to children with life-limiting and/or life-threatening conditions in Catalonia in order to protect their rights.
The goal of this care is to improve their quality of life and to allow them to spend more time at home, with the best possible comfort and to facilitate dying at home (if this is the option chosen by the child or his/her family).
Factors that brought us here:
- 27 years of working at the side of ill children and teenagers and their families.
- Working together with 5 main hospitals in pediatric Oncology and Hematology in Catalonia on the implementation of this project.
- Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau
- Hospital Sant Joan de Déu
- Hospital Vall d’Hebron
- Hospital de Sabadell. Corp. Sanitària Parc Taulí
- Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol
- Home volunteers program since 2008 in support of children with cancer and other life-limiting and life-threatening conditions in Catalonia following the request of the above-mentioned hospitals.
What do we want to do?
The aim is to set up a team formed by people related to said hospitals in different professional capacities and to procure integrated care for the patients, especially at home.
The team would provide:
- Medical care by physicians and nurses.
- Psychological support.
- Social support.
- Complementary social care keeping company and playing with sick children and youngsters for respite services for families.
Why do we do what we do?
Because palliative care is a fundamental right for all people, including children and because we believe in life.